Your GP or another health professional can refer you directly to the Gender Identity Clinic.
We provide treatment and support to a wide variety of people who have issues in relation to gender.
We accept referrals from all over the UK for patients who are aged 17 years and older onto our waiting list. For patients below this age, please visit the referral pages on the Gender Identity Development Service website
If you are a GP or another health professional and you would like to refer a patient to the Gender Identity Clinic, please complete the referral form and post it to the address below.
Please be aware that GPs are now able to refer to a Referral Assessment Service (RAS) via the Electronic Referral Service.
To locate the Gender Identity Clinic service on eRS, enter the following in the search fields:
- Priority = Routine
- Specialty = Mental Health – Adults of all ages
- Clinic Type = Not Otherwise Specified
- Organisation or Site Name field = Tavistock and Portman
Gender Identity Clinic
179-183 Fulham Palace Road
It is no longer necessary for people to be assessed by mental health services for gender issues prior to being referred to our service.
We do not accept referrals for:
- People with psychosexual issues in the absence of gender identity concerns
- People exclusively seeking breast augmentation, thyroid chondroplasty (tracheal shave) or cricothyroid approximation (vocal pitch) surgery as these interventions are no longer funded by NHS England Specialist Commissioning