PLEASE NOTE, THE PROCESS FOR PAYMENT OF TRAVEL EXPENSES HAS NOW CHANGED
Under the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme, patients on low incomes or specific qualifying benefits or allowances, are reimbursed in part or in full for fares incurred in travelling to their appointment at the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust.
Any Patient in receipt of one or more of the following benefits is eligible to claim:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
- NHS tax credit exemption certificate
- Certificate HC2 or HC3
- Universal Credit ** (If you are in receipt of Universal Credit, your claim will also need to be accompanied by an HC5 Certificate, available from the NHS Choices website www.nhs.uk and enter `travel costs' in the search box, or from your local JobCentre.
Claims will be repaid to the value of the cheapest public transport option.
Reimbursement can be done by presenting your current proof of benefit, travel receipts and completed Clinic request form to the Receptionist, or emailing all documents into the clinic following your appointment.
Claims made more than three months after the journey was taken will not be reimbursed.
We will pay for an official carer/escort if a GIC clinician has given written authorisation.
People who cannot claim
- Accompanying friends or relatives (Help may be available from the Social Fund run by the Department for Work and Pensions)
- Patients that travel by hospital provided transport
- Private patients
What you need in order to claim:
- Details of your Bank Account, so that the payment can be paid directly (i.e., Name of Account Holder; Bank Sort Code; Bank Account Number; Bank Name)
- Your travel claim form signed by the clinic receptionist after your appointment
- All your travel tickets and receipts – you are expected to use the cheapest mode of transport possible.
How to claim
- Complete the NEW Travel cost refund form at the Reception desk after your appointment and submit it, along with your ticket receipts and full proof of receipt of Benefit.
- Take the Travel Expense Claim form home and email / post it back to the clinic, address below, along with your receipts and full copy of receipt of Benefit.
- You can download the form in advance here.
You should receive your travel reimbursement no more than a week after your appointment/receipt of your documents via Royal Mail, to:
Gender Identity Clinic
Tavistock & Portman NHS Foundation Trust
3 Sumpter Close